The Sports Ground and Tennis Courts
The grounds adjoining the hall support many local sporting activities:
- There is a long-standing tradition of cricket - Worplesdon and Burpham Cricket Club can
trace its formation back to 1890 and its Worplesdon predecessor first began to use the site in 1912.
- Worpleson Phoenix Football Club
plays regular league matches at weekends and occasional games during the week.
- Worplesdon Tennis Club was formed in 1991
using the two existing public courts and has since added two more for Club use. A new Club House was opened in 2005. The Club has a
thriving membership of adults and juniors - players of all abilities are welcome.
- The two public tennis courts, which are owned by the Parish Council, are available to hire at £4.50 per hour (free to children under 16 years during state school holidays).
To make a booking, please phone the caretaker, Mr Bernard Callanan, on 01483 232117.
- Several badminton clubs rent the main hall during the day and some evenings.
A new sports pavilion serving the Cricket, Football and Tennis Clubs was
opened in 2008.
All clubs are delighted to welcome new members and enquiries can be made through the
caretaker or via club web sites.